Thursday, May 8, 2008

The Naming of Cactus Eyed Joe - Part One

The story begins with my layman's interest in plants and in particular bonsai. I have attempted to bonsai just about every tree-ish houseplant and tree that grows wild in my area. Most of my attempts don't survive very long or look very interesting. This isn't surprising considering a good specimen takes years to mature and most wild trees don't survive well as houseplants during the winter. The plant species that seems to survive in spite of my ministrations are jade trees. Just in case you think I am crazy, jade trees are used as bonsai specimens. I also attempt to grow cactus (another plant with less di-hydrogen monoxide dependant properties) and I think my name comes from Biking Brady's confusion between my jade trees and my cactus. Although when I pointed this out during BRAN 2004 (Bike Ride Across Nebraska) where the naming occurred we both agreed that the name Jade Eyed Joe didn't quite have the same ring to it.

No comments: